- Environmental Management
- Testing & Standards
- Imaging & Information Media
- PEM2 Datalogger
- PEM2 USB Flash Drive
- eClimateNotebook Basic
- eClimateNotebook Basic Plus
- eClimateNotebook Professional
- eClimateNotebook Professional Plus
- A-D Strips
- IPI MSQR
- Care and Identification of 19th-Century Photographic Prints
- IPI’s Guide to Sustainable Preservation Practices
- New Tools for Preservation
- Permanent Images: A Personal and Technical Memoir
- Pioneers of Photography Book
- Photographic Negatives Poster
- Motion Picture Film Poster
- Ordering Information
- The Atlas of Water Damage on Inkjet-printed Fine Art
Photographic Process Identification Workshops 2017-2018
Funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities Education and Training Grant Program and presented by the Image Permanence Institute, Rochester Institute of Technology
This free three-day workshop will teach participants the tools and skills necessary for successful photographic process identification and care by breaking down the complicated subject into simple and easily manageable sections. It provides a structured methodology for organizing visual information using a controlled vocabulary.
Participants will learn:
- About photographic materials and technologies and how they influence process specific “key identifying features"
- Observation skills specific to looking at prints and photographs
- A structured methodology and a controlled vocabulary for process identification with hands-on practice and instruction
- How to use www.GraphicsAtlas.org as a reference resource for identification
- How to properly store, handle, and display photographic materials
- Environmental management strategies for long-term preservation
Free! Tuition for the workshop is waived due to generous support from the National Endowment for the Humanities. However, participants are responsible for all travel, room, and board expenses. Since attendance is limited to 20 participants, we are asking that applications be submitted for consideration. Attendees will be selected based on order of receipt as well as the need for a diversity of institution types and roles. Early application is highly recommended.
Alice Carver-Kubik, James Reilly, and Douglas Nishimura - experts in photographic materials, identification, and preservation will present the workshops.
Who should apply?
- Professors teaching in Museum and Library Science, Museum Studies, and Cultural Heritage Conservation and Preservation programs.
- Collections care professionals
- Students studying collections care
How to Apply
Select your desired workshop location below and follow the link to apply to your venue of choice. Please apply to only one venue.
Workshop Locations, Dates, and Application Deadlines
Image Permanence Institute - Rochester, NY
- Workshop: August 15-17, 2017
- Application Deadline: April 3, 2017
- Notification of Decision: May 3, 2017
APPLICATION FOR ROCHESTER, NY CLOSED
High Museum of Art - Atlanta, GA
- Workshop: October 4-6, 2017
- Application Deadline: May 2, 2017
- Notification of Decision: June 2, 2017
Apply here for Atlanta, GA Venue
Center for Creative Photography - Tucson, AZ
- Workshop: March 14-16, 2018
- Application Deadline: November 14, 2017
- Notification of Decision: December 14, 2017
Apply here for Tucson, AZ
Museum of Photographic Arts - San Diego, CA
- Workshop: March 20-22, 2018
- Application Deadline: November 20, 2017
- Notification of Decision: December 20,2017
Apply here for San Diego, CA
Harry Ransom Center and the School of Information, The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, TX
- Workshop: May 15-17, 2018
- Application Deadline: December 4, 2017
- Notification of Decision: January 4, 2018
Apply here for Austin, TX Venue
Museum of Contemporary Photography and Chicago History Museum - Chicago, IL
- Workshop: July 24-26, 2018
- Application Deadline: February 5, 2018
- Notification of Decision: March 5, 2018
Apply here for Chicago, IL Venue
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston - Boston, MA
- Workshop: August 15-17, 2018
- Application Deadline: April 2, 2018
- Notification of Decision: May 2, 2018
- Apply here for Boston, MA Venue
Help us promote!
Spread the word about the workshops - download this promotional flyer to share.
Contact Alice Carver-Kubik at email@example.com if you have any questions.